- Health Insurance and Managed Care (B) Committee
- Consumer Information (B) Subgroup
- Health Innovations (B) Working Group
- Health Actuarial (B) Task Force
- Health Care Reform Actuarial (B) Working Group
- State Rate Review (B) Subgroup
- Health Reserves (B) Subgroup
- Long-Term Care Actuarial (B) Working Group
- Long-Term Care Pricing (B) Subgroup
- Long-Term Care Valuation (B) Subgroup
- Regulatory Framework (B) Task Force
- Accident and Sickness Insurance Minimum Standards (B) Subgroup
- ERISA (B) Working Group
- HMO Issues (B) Subgroup
- Pharmacy Benefit Manager Regulatory Issues (B) Subgroup
- Senior Issues (B) Task Force
- Long-Term Care Insurance (E/B) Task Force
2019 Revised Charges
HEALTH INSURANCE AND MANAGED CARE (B) COMMITTEE
The mission of the Health Insurance and Managed Care (B) Committee is to consider issues relating to all aspects of health insurance.
Ongoing Support of NAIC Programs, Products or Services
The Health Insurance and Managed Care (B) Committee will:
- Respond to inquiries from the U.S. Congress, the White House and federal agencies; analyze policy implications and effect on states of proposed and enacted federal legislation and regulations; and communicate the NAIC's position through letters and testimony when requested.
- Monitor the activities of the Health Actuarial (B) Task Force.
- Monitor the activities of the Regulatory Framework (B) Task Force
- Monitor the activities of the Senior Issues (B) Task Force
- Serve as the official liaison between the NAIC and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA) and URAC.
- Examine factors that contribute to rising health care costs and insurance premiums. Review state initiatives to address cost drivers.
- Coordinate with the Market Regulation and Consumer Affairs (D) Committee, as necessary, to provide policy recommendations regarding uniform state enforcement of the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Coordinate with the Producer Licensing (D) Task Force, as necessary, regarding the regulation and activities of navigators and non-navigator assistance personnel as provided under the ACA and regulations implementing the ACA.
- Coordinate with the Antifraud (D) Task Force, as necessary, regarding state and federal antifraud activities related to the implementation of the ACA.
- Coordinate with the Market Regulation and Consumer Affairs (D) Committee, as necessary, to collect uniform data and monitor market conduct trends on plans that are not regulated under tehe ACA, including short-term, limited-duration insurance, association health plans, and packaged indemnity health products.
The Consumer Information (B) Subgroup will:
- Develop information or resources, as needed, that would be helpful to state insurance regulators and others in assisting consumers to better understand health insurance.
- Review NAIC publications that touch on health insurance to determine if they need updating. If updates are needed, suggest specific revisions to the appropriate NAIC group or NAIC division to make the changes.
The Health Innovations (B) Working Group will:
- Gather and share information, best practices, experience and data to inform and support health innovation at teh state and national levels, including, but not limited to, state flexibility options throught the ACA and other health insurance-related policy initiatives.
- Discuss state innovations related to health care–including access, insurance plan designs, underlying medical and prescription costs, stability for health care and insurance as a whole, health insurer and provider consolidation or competition, the use of data in regulatory and policy decision-making, and health care delivery and financing models–to achieve better patient outcomes and lower spending trends.
- Explore sources and methods for state insurance regulators to obtain data to inform health reform initiatives.
- Disseminate materials and reports, via the NAIC, to the states and the U.S. territories wishing to utilize the information gathered by the Working Group.
- Take up other matters as directed by the Health Insurance and Managed Care (B) Commitee.
NAIC Support Staff: Jolie H. Matthews/Brian R. Webb/Jennifer R. Cook
Jolie H. Matthews
Senior Health Policy Advisor and Counsel
Senior Health Policy Advisor and Counsel
Brian R. Webb
Manager, Health Policy & Legislation
Please see the current Committee List for a complete list of committee members.